There is one thing I know…I am lucky. Whether you believe that you create your own luck or it is a matter of chance…I am still lucky. I was born into a world that allows me so many blessings every day. Even simple things that I take for granted like food and water are a given in my world. I have never felt the pains of true hunger or wanted for much. Sure, I have worked hard and provided for myself, but generally speaking I have never once worried where my next meal would come from or what it was like to suffer from starvation.
I know this post is getting a bit heavy and I apologize, but this is something I truly feel passionate about. Teaching my children that our world is MUCH bigger than our little bubble is important to me. Giving back to a world that has given me so much is a task I take to heart. It has been weighing on me for a long time. How do I give back? How to I show my children that life is about so much more than Legos, and candy, and fun outings with your family? How do I use my success and company to do good? I am so grateful for all I have been given…how do I use it for good?!
So when Jess McCurdy called me up and started telling me about the Nourish the Children project I was instantly hooked!!
Let me back up…I have known Jess’s sister in law Christin since I was in 3rd grade. She is one of my life long best friends and you can see a photo of her wedding from last summer below. I have also done photos several times for Jess and her family. She has 4 wonderful boys that are so sweet and fully of boy energy. I love seeing them and goofing around!
Well a few months ago, Jess called me and told me she was working on a project with her boys to teach them how to make a difference and give back. As a working mom of 4 boys, Jess has somehow managed to find the time to launch a full blown charity effort to raise money for children in need. I knew right away I wanted to help! It just felt right…I am a children’s photographer…I want to help children! We talked and planned and I think I have come up with the best way I know how to help…
BEAN AND SPROUT HELPING OUT!!!
The McCurdy Boy 2011
Here is how it works…
Jess and her kiddos are attempting to raise enough money to buy 6000 bags of VitaMeal for the children of Zimbabwe. Each bag of VitaMeal provides the 30 essential nutrients needed to feed a child for 1 month. The wholesome ingredients in each bag provide the right amount of calories, fat, proteins, and carbohydrates to help an undernourished child grow to their full potential. The cost of each bag is $22. Can you imagine eating for a month for just $22? $220 can feed a child for a year (discounted for bulk)!!!!!
(picture from www.jfkapnektrust.org)
So what is Bean and Sprout doing?? Well…
From now through the end of the year (at least), a portion of all photo sessions will be donated to the Nourish the Children project. My hope is to buy 500 bags of VitaMeal for Jess and her team through my own efforts.
You don’t have to do a thing other than get your wonderful photos taken by BSP Studios. Just by doing this, you are helping a child in need. There is nothing more that you need to do. I realize we all give back in our own way, so I am not asking you to do more.
You say you want to help more?? WONDERFUL!! Here is how..
- Donate directly! You are more than welcome to give a direct donation to the Nourish the Children project and the Kapnek team. I can give you the information or send the donation in on your behalf.
- Get photos done! Tell your friends to use BSP Studios for their photos. The more sessions we do, the more money we give back to HELP OUT!
- Get your kids involved! Explain to your children what it means to give back and see if there is something that you can do together (think lemonade stand, etc). If you let me know what your child is doing to help I will make a donation to help the cause! If they want to raise money for Nourish the Children, all the better!! Let me know and I will help you facilitate the donation. Need help with ideas? I have tons to share, just ask .
- Spread the word! The more people that we can get involved the better! Let’s make this a viral effort.
- Attend U Give, U Get! If you are in the Bay Area attend the U Give, U Get event at the Rheem Theatre on August 25th. More details to come soon!
- Attend BSP’s event! I will be hosting my own smaller event this fall in Portland. Once I know the details, I will let you know. I am hoping to team up with a few other local photographers to put something fun together. I will post the news as soon as I have it!
My goal is to help the Kapnek Trust buy 1000 bags of VitaMeal through all of our efforts including my 500 from BSP Studios. Help me HELP OUT!
So there you have it! My big news this week :). For more information on Kapnek and Nourish the Children click here. Let’s make a difference!
Please help support BEAN AND SPROUT HELPING OUT! Post, share, and get involved! I can’t wait to see all the wonderful things begin to happen from our efforts! If you are a photographer and want to join the Bean and Sprout Helping Out team, please email me at email@example.com.
If you would like to hear more about Kapnek or Nourish the Children, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or Jess McCurdy at email@example.com.
Are you giving back in another way? Leave a comment below and tell us how! Maybe we can help support you as well!
(And no, this is not the big start up I have been working on. That will likely launch later this fall. Will definitely be using it to give back as well…stay tuned!)